Using a new Sewing Pattern:
- Use your measurements to select the parts of the pattern you need. It is crucial to first take your own measurements. Sizing guides can vary from different pattern manufacturers and from the clothes you buy from shops.
- Find pattern pieces for your bust size. One of the most common problems people have in making their own clothes is sewing the correct bust size. Multi-size patterns can help. Amazing Fit Patterns by Simplicity give you patterns for different cup sizes, from A-D.
- Pin Paper Pattern or a Toile together. The best way to see if a pattern will fit is to try it on! Pin either a paper pattern or toile together to see how it looks and if any further adjustments are needed. Be sure to iron your paper or fabric toile beforehand, as any creases may affect the fit.
- Get some Help – either from a friend or a Tailor Dummy. Fit your mock-up pattern either on yourself (with some help from a friend) or you can fit it over a tailor’s dummy that is modified to your size.
- Mark any new alternations. If any areas need to be adjusted, you can mark the alterations onto the pattern or toile. The amended pattern will be your new sizing guide. You are now well on your way to making your own clothes!